Posts Tagged ‘Domestic Abuse’

Clare’s Law launches in Derbyshire

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014

A scheme which enables people to check the police record of their partners has been launched in Derbyshire.

Clare’s Law which came into action on Monday 3rd March has been launched this week as part of a national focus on domestic abuse from 4th March to 8th March. The scheme, which is to be rolled out nationally,  is named after Clare Wood, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend George Appleton in Salford in 2009 – Clare had been unaware of his previous history of violence against women.

The scheme works in two ways:

A right to ask: This is where information is disclosed following a request from a member of the public.

A right to know: This is where police make a decision to disclose details when they receive information to suggest a person could be at risk.

Those wishing to request a disclosure of information on a partner can do so by calling the non-emergency number 101, speaking to a police officer or visiting a local police station. Speaking about the national adoption of this new system, Detective Superintendent Andy Stokes, Head of Public Protection said: “This is a national scheme that we hope will provide people with the information they need to make informed decisions about their relationships and to take relevant action.

“When dealing with domestic violence it is crucial that police and other agencies are made aware and can provide early intervention to help the victims.”

Alan Charles, Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire, said that, when it comes to domestic violence, ignorance is definitely not bliss, it’s downright dangerous” and that “this law will help people to make an informed decision, based on known facts, about their relationship which will in turn save people from harm.”

Further information and useful phone numbers can be found on the Derbyshire Constabulary website If you wish to report an incident to the police and it’s not an emergency situation ring 101. Always ring 999 in an emergency.

Women’s aid refuge centre threatened by cash crisis

Saturday, August 4th, 2012

High Peak Women’s Aid faces having to close its refuge centre, unless they can find £60,000.

The Glossop based charity has been helping victims of domestic abuse for nearly 30 years but unless it raisesthe funds by October, the refuge service may have to close.

The cash crisis comes after they lost out on funding, which will now go to other providers of care and services in the area. When they were assessed they gained the highest possible marks for quality of work but as a small operation, they could not compete with competitors on costs and so were overlooked for the funding.

Despite missing out on the money, they are determined to keep offering a refuge service and maintain their current building. Indeed they have already started work on a new development to help reach out to women and girls much earlier in the abuse cycle.

To make that possible they are now calling upon the public to help raise valuable funds by holding a fundraiser, sponsoring a room in the refuge or making a donation. They have stressed that any contribution , no matter how small is very  helpful and will boost their chances of being able to carry on giving refuge to up to 26 women and 35 children every single year.

News of the challenges faced by the charity, led to tributes from former users of the service, one said “I’ll be truly grateful for the people who support Women’s Aid. I feel they are walking angels.”

Councillor Antony McKeown also urged how important a service Women’s Aid provide saying ”High Peak Women’s Aid has been providing a vital service for 30 years, in recognition of which the council has always been prepared to offer it accommodation at a very low rent.

“However, other financial pressures mean that the refuge is now at risk. That’s why I’m urging High Peak residents to dig deep, even though money is short, so Women’s Aid can continue rebuilding lives.”

To give support to High Peak Women’s Aid call Pam Whittle, services manager on 01457 856675 or go to their official website.